MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

NegSol
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

Postby NegSol » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:19 pm

Thanks for the new Minimig Core release today. It works great. I figured out my disk drive issue. Guess I had a lot of broken adf on the sd-card - strangest thing.

Anyway - the saving and esp. the loading of configuration still does not work. I deleted all old MIST configurations but still no dice. MISTer appears to not save any new configurations. whenever I try to load a configuration all configurations are "greyed out". Any suggestion is appreciated, what am I missing?

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:53 pm

I will re-check it. For me saving the config is working. I found that without configs MiSTer fall to fatal error.. Will fix this and will check the saving.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Is there anything else that needs to be soldered to the memory board besides the memory chip? I see a few things on the back side of the circuit board that looks like they were soldered on.
I'm tempted to try, but I'm not very good at soldering.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:45 pm

NML32 wrote:Is there anything else that needs to be soldered to the memory board besides the memory chip? I see a few things on the back side of the circuit board that looks like they were soldered on.

Memory chip, 5 capacitors (those on the back) and 2 connectors.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:47 pm

NML32 wrote:Is there anything else that needs to be soldered to the memory board besides the memory chip? I see a few things on the back side of the circuit board that looks like they were soldered on.

Only 5 more 1nf capacitors passives. nothing serious. I would encourage you. Just get yourself a flux pen and look at some youtube tutorials like EEVBlog ("SMD soldering"). I used my chisel tip iron for the job doing several swipes with lots of flux :-)

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:48 pm

NegSol wrote:Anyway - the saving and esp. the loading of configuration still does not work. I deleted all old MIST configurations but still no dice. MISTer appears to not save any new configurations. whenever I try to load a configuration all configurations are "greyed out". Any suggestion is appreciated, what am I missing?

i've just noticed it doesn't allow to load config, but it definitely saves. Use default config for now - it automatically loaded on startup. Just save to default config.
I will fix it in the next MiSTer release.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:50 pm

NegSol wrote:1nf capacitors

they are 0.1uF (not 1nf which is 0.001uF). May be this is another reason why you can't pass 150MHz test.

mpattonm

Postby mpattonm » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:52 pm

First of all, I salute to you Sorgelig for your great contribution to community. I trully admire your work!
Since your original post, I want to try MISTer on my own. so far I have been bit hesitant, while until now I have somehow avoided (all) FPGA clones.
That is untill now, I am going to order DE10 on Monday. In parallel, I am also considering order for SDRAM and IO board PCBs. Is there anyone interested in getting one too? I am considering batch order, 5 or 10 sets. They become pretty cheap that way, with unit price in single digits.
Please PM me, if you want in.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:52 pm

no - just lazy spelling on my side - you are correct 0.1 uF :-) that is what I used
--

thank you for investigating the configuration issue!

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:58 pm

mpattonm wrote:First of all, I salute to you Sorgelig for your great contribution to community. I trully admire your work!
Since your original post, I want to try MISTer on my own. so far I have been bit hesitant, while until now I have somehow avoided (all) FPGA clones.
That is untill now, I am going to order DE10 on Monday. In parallel, I am also considering order for SDRAM and IO board PCBs. Is there anyone interested in getting one too? I am considering batch order, 5 or 10 sets. They become pretty cheap that way, with unit price in single digits.
Please PM me, if you want in.

PM sent

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:01 pm

@Sorgelig, The issues I was describing above with the Menu only seems to be happening with menu_20170712.rbf.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:33 pm

NML32 wrote:@Sorgelig, The issues I was describing above with the Menu only seems to be happening with menu_20170712.rbf.

ok. i see. Basically it's hardware RND based on initial state of FPGA cells. So somehow your FPGA sett all '1' in those cells at powering. I will think what can i do.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:37 pm

mpattonm wrote:Is there anyone interested in getting one too? I am considering batch order, 5 or 10 sets. They become pretty cheap that way, with unit price in single digits.

It makes sense only if both people will be near each other. Otherwise you will spend more money by sending PCB to each other. Not to mention about time to send from manufacturer to the first person and then from that person to another if you are too far from each other.

mpattonm

Postby mpattonm » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:04 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
mpattonm wrote:Is there anyone interested in getting one too? I am considering batch order, 5 or 10 sets. They become pretty cheap that way, with unit price in single digits.

It makes sense only if both people will be near each other. Otherwise you will spend more money by sending PCB to each other. Not to mention about time to send from manufacturer to the first person and then from that person to another if you are too far from each other.

Priority mail for an envelope with weight up to 100 grams is 3.5 USD for Europe and 4 USD anywhere else in the world. And that includes envelope itself ;)
Time of course is different issue. While it takes 2-3 days to have it delivered within EU, it takes up to two weeks for US.

gagadagatika
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gagadagatika » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:25 am

Hello everybody, first time posting here.

I just saw that you guys plan to order. I have orderd last week all components for the SDRAM board from Mouser. The PCBs will be here by the end of the week (ordered from PCBway). I've got 5x SDRAM, so i would be able to give away 4 boards, as long its inside Europe (I am from Germany). I have a full electronic lab here and i am proficiant in SMD soldering, so i am not too worried about the quality. Its the vertical version of the SDRAM Board. It will be 16,50 € + Shipping, because that is the material cost of the components per board. just shoot me a PM and we see how we get it to you.
:cheers:

Update: All boards are gone!

gagadagatika
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gagadagatika » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:40 pm

Hey Sorgelig, Thank you very much for all the effort you put into this project. I am super excited about MiSTer on the DE10 Nano and my Board arrived today! Right now I work hard on creating your addon boards to make it complete.

Therefore, I try to compile a BOM for the IO Board (V2.7) and have unfortunatly some trouble to find some of your components. I've made the BOM as Google Spreadsheet with public editing rights. I hope it is also helpfull for anyone else who wants to solder the I/O Board.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I've exported most of the information directly from your Altium design and edited some of the rows. I chose digikey as distributer because it ships worldwide, has almost all components and is cheap. I also tried to find all components at one distributer to reduce shipping costs.

Howerever, the following components are still missing:

D-SUB Connector: I could not find the specific connector you use in your design. It seems to be a special high-density connector. The one in your design seems to be discontinued: http://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE ... 3EBg%3D%3D

TOSLINK LOC0701T-16AHB:: I could not find any information about this connector. could you provide some info about important specification, to find an alternative component or tell me where I could find yours?

Could you give the spreadsheet a look, to see if the components are somewhat ok and maybe give some recommendation on missing parts?

Update: I had some dead links in the spreadsheet, because I just copied and renamend them from the german digikey store. It's fixed now.
Last edited by gagadagatika on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

udo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby udo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi,

I tried some of the cores using my Packard Bell HD-Screen with DVI-Input. I am using a HDMI-DVI Adapter, that works well with my Raspberry.
All Cores (including the Original Terasic-Image) do only show a black screen.
I reccompiled some of the cores (so far the C64- and Menu-Core) with the HDMI Mode Bit cleared in hdmi_config.sv.

{8'hAF, 8'b0001_0100}, // [7]=0 HDCP Disabled. -- UMA b0001_0110 --> b0001_0100 DVI
// [6:5] must be b00!
// [4]=1 Current frame IS HDCP encrypted!??? (HDCP disabled anyway?)
// [3:2] must be b01!
//[1]=1 HDMI Mode /=0 DVI Mode .
// [0] must be b0!

Those Cores show the expected output.

Now I wonder if my setup is so exotic that nobody else has this problem. Maybe it would be a good idea to use one of the swiches of the board to select DVI mode otherwise all users of those screens would need to create their own binaries.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:43 pm

udo,
you need HDMI->DVI+Audio converter to fix your problem.
In DVI mode, no audio is possible. MiSTer is targeted to modern HDMI interface with audio.

May be in the future there will be more video modes, but it need to be supported in every core. Quick fix for older TV/Monitor with DVI input is converter. It won't add any delays or degrade the quality, so it's pretty transparent.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:47 pm

Just curious, how many other MiST cores if any could be converted to run on the MiSTer with only its onboard memory?

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:01 pm

gagadagatika wrote:D-SUB Connector

you can find a lot of offers of these connectors on Aliexpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10PCS-D ... 24310.html
You can search there more to find a cheaper price or bigger batch.
When i designed the board, Altium had only this footprint and i couldn't find any other VGA footprints. And by coincidence such VGA is available in the store near me. At the end it became very suitable when i've started to add more functions to the board. Now there is no much space left behind this connector without the whole redesign.

TOSLINK LOC0701T-16AHB

I've ordered ~5 pieces several years ago for my other project, but i don't remember where :(
It's possible some local Taiwanese manufacturer. You can leave it unsoldered - it's just an option. I think, I/O board can be tweaked for easier to find components later. Just need to know what part numbers can be used.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 pm

NML32 wrote:Just curious, how many other MiST cores if any could be converted to run on the MiSTer with only its onboard memory?

It's hard to predict. It depends on many factors. Advanced cores won't avoid SDRAM.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Capacitors and Resistors are 0805
Resistors on VGA color ladders should be 1% or better.
Phone Jack i don't know the part number. It's the same as on MiST board.

Atarian
Atarian

Postby 11110110100 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi Sorgelig,

I've been watching with interest and I've taken the plunge, the FULL plunge and I've ordered not only a DE10-Nano board, but with the help of some electrical engineers I work with, I've procured all the parts for 10 x SDRAM boards (PCBs, Connectors, Chips and capacitors).

Once I get all the components, the engineers have agreed to assemble to boards for me (as practice :D ) and they have all the proper lab equipment including soldering microscopes for the fine work on the chips.

As soon as they've completed them, I'll report back with results.

I'm very excited to give it a whirl!

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:41 am

Results are pretty repeatable if SDRAM chip is exactly AS4C16M16SA-6TCN. I have reports from 3 different people about success.
So, don't worry. If you don't need all 10 boards by yourself, then you can announce that you want to sell them. I think people here would like to buy.

In the mean time, i've released updated SDRAM board designs. Electrically they are fully compatible to previous versions. One board is universal with ability to be mounted in any position. Another board is inward direction with through holes for Arduino GPIO - so it will be compatible with future expansions.
You can see PDF files:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Hardwar ... am_uni.pdf
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Hardwar ... am_rev.pdf

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:50 am

11110110100 wrote:As soon as they've completed them, I'll report back with results.

If you have spares I'd gladly buy one from you guys :)

Return to “MiSTer”