[Solved] SuperVidel + CT60e Woes.

News, Support and Development discussions relating to SuperVidel.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, instream, Moderator Team, Nature

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

[Solved] SuperVidel + CT60e Woes.

Postby leech » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:14 am

So plopped the SuperVidel in following the instructions, got the cable soldered up to the VGA and ground, went to copy over all the drivers, rebooted and.. crash.

Tried doing the update to FW v10, and that crashed. Same with the update to v09. No clue what version is on there.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Crash on startup. (though I can hit spacebar to continue onto xboot)
sv-boot.jpg

svupd009.app
sv-update-09.jpg

svnupd010.app
sv-update-09.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by leech on Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Re: SuperVidel + CT60e Woes.

Postby mikro » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:12 pm

I'd start with clean setup first. (SVXBIOS.PRG + NVDI.PRG)

XaAES seems to have a few bugs / unexplained quirks when it comes to SuperVidel: https://github.com/freemint/freemint/issues/41

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:17 pm

I had tried it previously with having a fairly empty auto folder, but this time I cleaned everything out so there is SVXBIOS.prg and NVDI (in that order) and it does the same thing. Only difference is the error is spewed out onto the screen instead of into a dialog box.
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:32 am

leech wrote:I had tried it previously with having a fairly empty auto folder, but this time I cleaned everything out so there is SVXBIOS.prg and NVDI (in that order) and it does the same thing. Only difference is the error is spewed out onto the screen instead of into a dialog box.

CT60e clock speed? Adding a new device to the bus changes things, start low.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:36 am

mikro wrote:I'd start with clean setup first. (SVXBIOS.PRG + NVDI.PRG)

XaAES seems to have a few bugs / unexplained quirks when it comes to SuperVidel: https://github.com/freemint/freemint/issues/41

How do you start XaAES? From the desktop or from the console?

(I've never encountered these issues myself, but then again I always start XaAES from bash, and I've stayed away from recent versions since I believe they suffer from severe bit rot)

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:51 am

CT60e's clock hasn't been changed by me (it starts at 66Mhz)
Pretty sure XaAES is started from mint.ini (or mint.cnf, can't recall which at the moment). I did test it with bare TOS (NVDI 5 and SV_XBIOS only). Still exact same thing.

This came with two little resistors on long wires, didn't see anything in the instructions on what to do with them.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:33 am

leech wrote:CT60e's clock hasn't been changed by me (it starts at 66Mhz)
Pretty sure XaAES is started from mint.ini (or mint.cnf, can't recall which at the moment). I did test it with bare TOS (NVDI 5 and SV_XBIOS only). Still exact same thing.

This came with two little resistors on long wires, didn't see anything in the instructions on what to do with them.

I see. No point in trying to get it running on XaAES until it boots properly on plain TOS though.

Do you have the same problems if running sans NVDI (i.e. just SV_XBIOS.PRG)?

Does it crash even before loading SV_XBIOS.PRG?

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:38 am

If I disable SV_XBIOS.PRG it doesn't crash, works as usual. If I load it up (I initially was even starting it before xboot) it's showed that first image error, then I could hit the spacebar and it'd load the desktop. If I don't load up SV_XBIOS.PRG at all, it works as if the card wasn't plugged in.

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 am

Don't forget that thing about the SV having a jumper that removes noise from a ct63 bus. Apparently this makes it crash on a ct60e.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:02 pm

shoggoth wrote:How do you start XaAES? From the desktop or from the console?

(I've never encountered these issues myself, but then again I always start XaAES from bash, and I've stayed away from recent versions since I believe they suffer from severe bit rot)

IIRC, it doesn't matter, same symptoms for both cases. However I do use fairly new XaAES builds so it's perfectly possible yours is working fine because of that.

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Whats this bit-rot stuff? Sounds like hocus-pocus to me lol

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:42 pm

mzry wrote:Don't forget that thing about the SV having a jumper that removes noise from a ct63 bus. Apparently this makes it crash on a ct60e.

Ha, yeah I pulled the jumper off to see if it made a difference. Sure did, I just got a black screen for my efforts.

My best guess at this point is that it's a really old firmware version and I'm going to have to find an older update for it. Will work on that once I get a proper heatsink on it (didn't like the high temps the CPU was giving me).

fidzen
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby fidzen » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:53 pm

leech wrote:
mzry wrote:Don't forget that thing about the SV having a jumper that removes noise from a ct63 bus. Apparently this makes it crash on a ct60e.

Ha, yeah I pulled the jumper off to see if it made a difference. Sure did, I just got a black screen for my efforts.

My best guess at this point is that it's a really old firmware version and I'm going to have to find an older update for it. Will work on that once I get a proper heatsink on it (didn't like the high temps the CPU was giving me).

I used my SV with my CT63 before and it worked great. I then bought a CT60e and tested my SV on that.
I also had problems using it with speeds over 66MHz, it was the jumper on the SV that needed to be removed.

You also mention the resistors, they should be on two of the cables soldered on the MB.
Try to disconnect the cable from the SV and boot your Falcon.

I use the FW version 010 on the SV.
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT60e, Supervidel, Svetlana, 512Mb RAM, 8Gb CF.
Atari Falcon, 14Mb RAM, CT63, 256Mb RAM,4Gb CF.
Firebee Series 2, 16Gb CF, 2Gb SD, MEGA ST Keyboard and Atari Mice.
Atari 2600 4-switch Woody

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:11 pm

Do you have the SuperVidel files in the NVDI.SYS folder? If not, you won't see crap.
They define SV resolution modes.
You can change boot resolution by editing the SV.Inf file. Think its in Hex format though.
In plain TOS, works great, change video modes from the desktop.
It's more difficult in MiNT.

I wouldn't dink with the wire, layman's terms, it just syncs the SV to the Videl for some kind of drift issue. From what I understand, predominately some games have some sort of sync issue. You may have to replace a jumper on the SV, I'm not at the workbench ATM.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:38 pm

So in the installation docs, it said to put the files into the GEMSYS folder (did that) and there was a modification to the ASSIGN.SYS (or an example file, which I initially copied over, but switched backed because it gave me a corrupted screen without the bios file being able to load).

I couldn't see where to put the SV.INF.

Yeah, the wire was stated as being there to keep the Videl's clock in sync for gaming, but I didn't see anywhere that it said to do the two resistors, it was just that 6 pin cable where you have to put wires 3 to ground and 4 to VGA. I'll try unplugging that and see how it works.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:46 pm

http://nature.atari.org/Self/SuperVidel ... manual.pdf is the manual I followed.

For the record, there is a section where it says to remove a screw from the keyboard and to tape over one of the wires. Pretty sure the CT60e is far enough back that it's not needed on that, right? I did it anyhow, since I was paranoid about it toasting something.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:22 pm

leech wrote:So in the installation docs, it said to put the files into the GEMSYS folder (did that) and there was a modification to the ASSIGN.SYS (or an example file, which I initially copied over, but switched backed because it gave me a corrupted screen without the bios file being able to load).

Yeah, the wire was stated as being there to keep the Videl's clock in sync for gaming, but I didn't see anywhere that it said to do the two resistors, it was just that 6 pin cable where you have to put wires 3 to ground and 4 to VGA. I'll try unplugging that and see how it works.

SV.INF goes to the root on your boot drive, most likely C:

SV_BPSx.SYS and SVSCREEN.SYS goes into your GEMSYS folder.

Assign.sys MUST be according to the example file, or things will never ever work for you. Basically it tells NVDI to load SVSCREEN.SYS, which is the SuperVidel NVDI driver. Without it, things will go horribly wrong.

To narrow down possible problems, please boot with only SV_XBIOS.PRG, nothing else. When that works, proceed with NVDI.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:26 pm

shoggoth wrote:
leech wrote:So in the installation docs, it said to put the files into the GEMSYS folder (did that) and there was a modification to the ASSIGN.SYS (or an example file, which I initially copied over, but switched backed because it gave me a corrupted screen without the bios file being able to load).

Assign.sys MUST be according to the example file, or things will never ever work for you. Basically it tells NVDI to load SVSCREEN.SYS, which is the SuperVidel NVDI driver. Without it, things will go horribly wrong.

To narrow down possible problems, please boot with only SV_XBIOS.PRG, nothing else. When that works, proceed with NVDI.

Sorry, posted like a drunk :( wrong instructions, right idea.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:51 pm

Rustynutt wrote:
shoggoth wrote:

Sorry, posted like a drunk :( wrong instructions, right idea.

Never Drink and Solder!

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:00 pm

The only time I saw bus errors was installing XaES.
What about your desktop.inf file, maybe delete that and try.
Never tried booting the SV on the 060 without NVDI, thought the CT had to run it to get rid of the blitter, which screws everything up. With the SV sitting on the CT bus, maybe not unless you don't have some fast ram flags set.

My SV sat from day one until this year. Think it was V8.xx. Worked fine. It's flashed to one of the V10 versions, works fine. Really, other than what Shoggoth said, should be drop in.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:52 pm

Just throwing out small stuff to try.
Do you still have xaac running?
There's a patched version for the CT63e, but would leave it out just the same. Same thing with Xboot.

The dialog kind of tells me there is either something running while the desktop is loading, or a video mode is incorrect in the SV files. I would run the files that came with the SV, and switch back to 030 mode to trouble shoot, not changing the original files.

Delete any of the desktop inf files, no acc's.

When you say Falcon boots without the SV auto folder prg, do you mean you are booting the CT only with TOS?

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:58 pm

May have missed this, VGA mode, right?
Also try booting in 030 mode and save desktop at 640*480.....smoke from my ears

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:11 pm

I'll have to double check, but I think it's already saved in 640*480. (80 column, no double line, 16 color, if I recall).

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:15 pm

leech wrote:I'll have to double check, but I think it's already saved in 640*480. (80 column, no double line, 16 color, if I recall).

That should be fine.

Also, when I flashed my CT, the Xylinx software correctly recognized the FPGA.

When I flashed the SV, noticed it didn't recognize the FPGA correctly. I could still flash the SV. Prolly something on my end.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:03 am

Rustynutt wrote:The only time I saw bus errors was installing XaES.
What about your desktop.inf file, maybe delete that and try.
Never tried booting the SV on the 060 without NVDI, thought the CT had to run it to get rid of the blitter, which screws everything up. With the SV sitting on the CT bus, maybe not unless you don't have some fast ram flags set.

My SV sat from day one until this year. Think it was V8.xx. Worked fine. It's flashed to one of the V10 versions, works fine. Really, other than what Shoggoth said, should be drop in.

SV_XBIOS.PRG is fast/vram-aware, and NVDI isn't strictly necessary (it is highly recommended, however). I would know.

@leech:
1. Does it work at all sans drivers? Yes.
2. Does it work with SV_XBIOS.PRG in C:\auto, and (unmodified) SV.INF in C:\? _______ <--- answer here

EDIT: Just a reminder - to be able to give you support, you have to try to answer the questions I give you. If you don't, you're on your own.

Social Media

Return to “SuperVidel”