Supervidel works at last

News, Support and Development discussions relating to SuperVidel.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, instream, Moderator Team, Nature

deeez
Atari User
Atari User

Supervidel works at last

Postby deeez » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:30 am

Hi all,

Finally got it working. I thought I'd post here about the mistakes I made.

First of all I knew the hardware was ok because not only did it work if I manually started sv_xbios.prg from c:\auto but we also tried with instreams sd card and it was fine.
But for some reason things wouldnt start from a clean boot, I tried with only driver in auto, driver before nvdi, driver after nvdi etc, nothing, no output on supervidel.
I tried a bunch of things and most of the time my tv complained about mode not supported followed by "searching for signal", I've not sure what that means but I figured it must have something todo with the resolution and/or colour depth.

Eventually I replaced what I think was a broken nvdi installation with a working one (5.01 instead of 5.11) because I would get the nvdi splash screen (init text) on the supervidel followed by sometimes an illegal instruction and most of the time once it had finished initialising its stuff I was back to what I had before, no output on supervidel.

Turns out I had also forgotten to replace SCREEN.SYS with SVSCREEN.SYS in assign.txt (I only got rid of the 'p'). Turns out that was a rather important step :) and nvdi stopped crashing on me.
Next thing to try was to set a boot resolution, I replaced both modecodes in SV.INF with the same value which I got from setting the resolution manually using the dialog (remember I could still start the driver manually and get supervidel output), I also saved the resolution to NEWDESK.INF, not sure if that makes a difference but anyway..

Crossed my fingers and rebooted and voila! It started!

I think the main problem was that my tv didnt like the modecode in SV.INF, thats why things didnt work when run from auto, a broken nvdi installation just added to the confusion.

So thats it, thanks for all the help, hopefully this can help others in the same situation!

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Re: Supervidel works at last

Postby shoggoth » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:49 pm

I've noticed that several people have had similar problems. My conclusion is that the installation instructions needs to be clarified a bit.
1. install sv_xbios.prg first. If that doesn't work, NVDI won't work. Don't edit any settings until you're sure it works.
2. install NVDI, make sure you replace ASSIGN.SYS and put the NVDI drivers in the GEMSYS folder.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:52 pm

The instructions seemed clear enough to me.

The only part I found misleading was that the manual states how important it is to flash the firmware before doing anything else when in fact, it is not possible for the flash tool to see the SV until the drivers have been installed correctly. Well at least that was the case for me.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:12 pm

Great that you got it to work at last Däz! :)

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:46 pm

Dal wrote:The instructions seemed clear enough to me.

The only part I found misleading was that the manual states how important it is to flash the firmware before doing anything else when in fact, it is not possible for the flash tool to see the SV until the drivers have been installed correctly. Well at least that was the case for me.

I had no idea. Don't think it's supposed to be that way... InSTream, Hencox? Don't think we should check for the SupV-cookie in the fw upgrade tool.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

Social Media

Return to “SuperVidel”