My SuperVidel is here, but I'm in PANIC! (success)

News, Support and Development discussions relating to SuperVidel.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, instream, Moderator Team, Nature

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

My SuperVidel is here, but I'm in PANIC! (success)

Postby Paolo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi all.
SV arrived safe and sound together with SvethLana.
However, I am in deep panic:
1. I can't find anywhere the proper AUTO and ASSIGN files
2. Network doesn't seem to work, although I just replaced the broken EtherNat and added the .xif (and it seem to be loaded and en0 seems alive)
3. I think I fried my RAM after a safe installation, by handling it after I turned the Falcon on (and now I have a "bad CRC on chip E" message at bootstrap).

please help!

(edited for typos)
Last edited by Paolo on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: My SuperVidel is here, but I'm in PANIC!

Postby wongck » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:26 pm

Paolo wrote:3. I think I fried mi RAM after a safe installation, by handlic it after I turned the Falcon on (and now I have a "bad CRC on chip E" message at bootstrap).

This sounding sucks. I know the excitement of a new hw and hands do fly around in such situation.
Sorry mate.

But DON'T PANIC !!!!
You will sort this out with a clear mind.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:10 pm

First: Don't panic!
Second: Which version of the CT60 TOS are you using, and what version are your SDR/ABE?

1. Drivers at the Nature website, nature.atari.org.
At first I thought the driver zip was broken (windows built-in zip unpacker failed), but 7-zip have no trouble unpacking the files.

2. Network should work, let's see what Nature has to say about it.

3. Bad CRC sounds like a CT60 flash issue or a bad connection somewhere. Re-seat all hardware in all sockets and hope for the best.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Wong, shoggoth,
thank you.

Maybe I am sorting the thing out.

I had the suspect of bad RAM and I changed it. I also sat again all the components, and it seems everything OK now.

However, I still can't find the drivers: I got the Mintnet drivers and the updating software. Nothing else.

CT60: where to check the ABE version? I can't remember!

Network: ifconfig shows en0 up and running, but I can't ping anything. Maybe I have to set some additional file...

EDIT: I can't believe!!! I couldn't see the drivers! I just can't believe it! Maybe they were removed for a day or two? Maybe I was reloading a cached page???

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:30 pm

The drivers are at the website, in the download section :) "SuperVidel drivers".

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:34 am

Paolo wrote:Wong, shoggoth,
thank you.

Maybe I am sorting the thing out.

I had the suspect of bad RAM and I changed it. I also sat again all the components, and it seems everything OK now.

However, I still can't find the drivers: I got the Mintnet drivers and the updating software. Nothing else.

CT60: where to check the ABE version? I can't remember!

Network: ifconfig shows en0 up and running, but I can't ping anything. Maybe I have to set some additional file...

EDIT: I can't believe!!! I couldn't see the drivers! I just can't believe it! Maybe they were removed for a day or two? Maybe I was reloading a cached page???

You were probably not blind :) We recently moved the Download page to Henrik's own server, and for some reason most browsers seem to hang on to the old version of our homepage until you clear the cache. Sometimes I have seen that not even that helps...

I think the ABE and SDR versions should be printed at boot with the Atari logo. But only if you updated the ABE and SDR using Didier's CT60 Tool with the falcon parallel cable. If you do it from a PC using Xilinx Impact like me you don't see the ABE and SDR versions at boot. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you see the green and yellow LED on the Svethlana light up when you power on the falcon? Do you then see one of them (think the yellow one) flash sometimes? If so, the hardware is OK and you need to check your Mintnet files.
Also make sure that you have pushed the flat cable all the way into its socket at each end. See the installation manual for pictures of what is correct.

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi, Instream!

Short version: things work, but I can't have nameservers resolved. How do I do the DNS thing?

long version: something went wrong with the 1-19 version. The USB from EtherNat doesn't work with SV, and on top of that a system crash messed part of the ext2 drive. So I can't boot calling INIT because it crashes. I used a 1-17 booting directly to MyAes, but I had to manually launch ifconfig and route. Also, the USB works.
In the meanwhile I'd like to know why I can't get DNS resolving (that Ethernat did) and if it's better to install a whole new MiNT version (where are we? 1-20?) with all the proper files, mintlib and all...

But now, I might say the I'm getting out of panic :-)

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:21 am

For DNS resolving to work correctly, you need a correctly written /etc/resolv.conf.

Look at it with QED if values are correct (needs at least a line "nameserver <your.name.server.ip>") and make sure the file has UNIX-style line endings (File->Info->Line endings).

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:06 am

If you have both cards plugged (Supervidel and EtherNat) you must be careful with the clock frequency in your CT60, the "bad CRC on chip E" message and the system crash make me think that may be you are pushing too much your system. Which frequency are you running?

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:55 am

Hi, Galvez.
I am runnung at 95, and I removed EtherNat (for now I will make without USB)
That BAD CRC error went away, I think I had to better sit my connectors.

mfro: internet is OK now, thank you. I discovered that the crash in disk F took away the resolv.conf ...

wong: I am sure that some files went corrupted in the crash (even some files on C:) and I'd like to refresh everything. I remember I saw on your website an "autoupdate" script for MiNT, but I can't find it anymore.

Right now I am installing Helmut 1.19 to see if the network works. I remember I left 1.17 time ago because of the bad date/time management. I'd like to stay on 1.19

instream: the only thing is I read on my CT60 is E41J. Czuba made it. Configuration is 1.03c

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:15 pm

Paolo wrote:wong: I am sure that some files went corrupted in the crash (even some files on C:) and I'd like to refresh everything. I remember I saw on your website an "autoupdate" script for MiNT, but I can't find it anymore.

The file was there but URL was wrong.
I fixed that.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:38 pm

Paolo wrote:Hi, Galvez.
I am runnung at 95, and I removed EtherNat (for now I will make without USB)
That BAD CRC error went away, I think I had to better sit my connectors.

If you are at 95 Mhz with both cards plugged I think you're a bit on the limit. To test that your hardware can handle it try test some big zip files from the console with:

zip -T /path/to/zipfile.zip

start at 90 Mhz and check if tests passes, if so increase the clock and try again until you get CRC errors from the zip command.

Also you can try to compile the MiNT kernel if you're out of the limit you'll get internal compiler errors.
Last edited by Galvez on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:44 pm

wong: I used your tool, but I had to make a modification: the website isn't http://www.atariforge.net, but sparemint.atariforge.net (or should I point it to freemint.org?)

Maybe you could fix this. However, I notice that I have almost all newer version then the sparemint website. Maybe I downloaded some recent tarball...

galvez: as of now I don't have problems with the zip test. I'll try with even bigger files. but in the meanwhile I am focused of running SV in 1.19

I can't get it to work in 1.19 and I don't understand why.

Any oppinion?

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:50 pm

Paolo wrote:galvez: as of now I don't have problems with the zip test. I'll try with even bigger files. but in the meanwhile I am focused of running SV in 1.19

I can't get it to work in 1.19 and I don't understand why.

Any oppinion?

What is exactly not working with MiNT1.19?

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:39 pm

SvethLana doesn't work.
Well, the hardware works, lights blink and ifconfig sets en0 correctly, just like in 1.17

However, ping doesn't give anything except the local loop (I can ping myself)

Every file is exactly the same, so I assume it has to do with mint.prg or some connected file

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:50 pm

Paolo wrote:SvethLana doesn't work.
Well, the hardware works, lights blink and ifconfig sets en0 correctly, just like in 1.17

However, ping doesn't give anything except the local loop (I can ping myself)

Every file is exactly the same, so I assume it has to do with mint.prg or some connected file

For now I've no idea what could be wrong, I can only confirm you that kernel version 1.19 is working with Svethlana here.

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:58 pm

Maybe I should make a clean 1.19 install...
what is strictly needed for a clean install (on the TOS side and on the MiNT side?)

should I used helmut or trunk?

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:00 pm

In the meanwhile, the WongCK script had to be edited by me for letting rpm work (I set rpm -U ...)
It installed everything except for ALL freemint 1.18 files, complaining that it needed freemint 1.15

May I force the install?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:41 am

Paolo wrote:In the meanwhile, the WongCK script had to be edited by me for letting rpm work (I set rpm -U ...)
It installed everything except for ALL freemint 1.18 files, complaining that it needed freemint 1.15
May I force the install?

Well, I used freshen for the parameter (which is that -f ) so that it will only update existing packages that has version earlier and are installed in your computer.
So if it accidentally download an earlier version, it should not overwrite your later version.

The -U parameter is somewhat different... it will also install it if you have not got it, which may explain why you found it installed everything, even those that were not earlier installed on your falcon.

I would not let the script install the freemint 1.18 files, as it will probably overwrite your configurations as packaged in the RPM.

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:11 pm

Hmm... I see.
Fact is that the -fvv option didn't work with the rpm version I have: after checking and downloading it showed (every time) the rpm help, you know, like when you enter invalida parameters and it shows the usage help. That's why I changed it in -U.

Now, I checked the existing version against the downloaded ones and they were really newer.
I am glad it didn't overwrite freemint files, according to what you wrote :-)

and now, quick update: 1.19 works only for local network (it's a huge improvement!). I think I need to check the startup script, now. Still, I am worried that some important file living in C: or in F: went corrupted in that earlier crash...

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:23 pm

If you can ping only IP addresses one hop away (like your LAN) then I guess default route is missing.
I am not behind my Atari or linux machine to check but I guess with command "route add 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <your gateway>" should work.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:30 am

my site has some write up on installing Mintnet manually.
Go over it and see if the files it mentioned having some issues/wrong settings.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:59 am

Friends! Since this seems to actually be a mintnet configuration issue, I'd suggest moving the discussion to some mintnet/freemint-related subforum, since this makes it easier for other SuperVidel owners to search & find solutions to their (hopefully non-existant) problems :)

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:31 pm

You're right! Since we discovered that I (hopefully) just need some configuration tweaking, we could even close this discussion and, if I still have troubles, I'll open a new topic in the proper subforum.

Again, thank you all!

Social Media

Return to “SuperVidel”