SuperVidel demo videos

News, Support and Development discussions relating to SuperVidel.

Moderators: Mug UK, lp, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., instream, Moderator Team, Nature

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: SuperVidel demo videos

Postby DarkLord » Sun May 13, 2012 1:11 am

Keep the demo video's coming - we all want to see more! :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Sun May 13, 2012 8:04 am

shoggoth wrote:
joska wrote:I was thinking of implementing stuff like fills, mono-expansion, lines etc in the FPGA. But this is perhaps not planned?

Blitter accelerates filled rectangles + fill patterns, horizontal lines (to some degree, it's hard to compete with the CPU for smaller operations such as that one due to setup times), and opaque blits (well, alpha-blits too, but the VDI doesn't support it).

Nature can probably explain this better, but basically it doesn't make much sense to accellerate stuff which doesn't result in sequencial memory accesses. This is an inherent "feature" of DDR memory, afaik. This means vertical/arbitrary lines won't be accelerated, since these primitives can be done fairly efficiently with the CPU anyway.

About mono-expand blits - not accelerated at the moment. Looking at the various NVDI drivers (Rage, ET4k and Matrix), I got the impression that this isn't accelerated at all on those cards (at least not by NVDI). What stuff will benefit from that in practice? Text rendering, or just mono-icons and other mono bitmaps?

It should be possible to mono colour expand with the original blitter using the smudge mode for one bit images (text etc)

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Mon May 14, 2012 11:30 am

The form factor seems a little strange... has it been made for a particular tower case or something? I mean why fit an external DVI connector on the PCB?

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Mon May 14, 2012 6:22 pm

alexh wrote:The form factor seems a little strange... has it been made for a particular tower case or something? I mean why fit an external DVI connector on the PCB?

The DVI connector was put there because of signal trace impedance requirements when doing 1.6Gbit/s signalling. We didn't dare to put a flat cable header there instead and jeopardise 3500EUR worth of prototypes...

The current solution to get the video signals out of the falcon case is to use a DVI-I to DVI-D + VGA-splitter cable found on Ebay. But we're thinking of making a flex cable solution instead.

jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jvas » Tue May 15, 2012 9:57 am

instream wrote:Hi folks!

Just uploaded the 5th SuperVidel demo video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WwD8hSVF_E

where we show dual screen desktop and full screen Aniplayer playback.

Great! Thanks for you great job. We can hardly imagine the efforts you put in this project !!!

Social Media

Return to “SuperVidel”