SuperVidel demo videos

News, Support and Development discussions relating to SuperVidel.

Moderators: Mug UK, lp, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., instream, Moderator Team, Nature

instream
Nature
Nature

SuperVidel demo videos

Postby instream » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:26 pm

We have uploaded some demo videos of the SuperVidel at youtube:

#1: Basic functionality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJW2eH-ZunE

#2: Hardware demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQZnI2MAAN8

#3: High resolution in Mint
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaTGYpDt5Wo

To read more about the SuperVidel, look at nature.atari.org.

/Torbjörn

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SuperVidel demo videos

Postby Dal » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:43 pm

VERY impressive stuff! Thanks for posting this up - looking forward to getting my hands on one of these :mrgreen:
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:01 pm

I am very impressed! The performance is amazing for an atari. I wonder if demos etc could be easily patched to make use of the supervidel so that they will run much faster. Oh, and more videos please :)
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:37 pm

Great video showing what it can do :thumbs:

But on the hardware video, the cards are moved back a few cm by an extension board ??
(not the one the raise it)
Do we need this or it is just for your development?
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Dal wrote:VERY impressive stuff! Thanks for posting this up - looking forward to getting my hands on one of these :mrgreen:

You have registered then, haven't you? :)

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:24 pm

christos wrote:I am very impressed! The performance is amazing for an atari. I wonder if demos etc could be easily patched to make use of the supervidel so that they will run much faster. Oh, and more videos please :)

All writes of screen data need to be ORed with 0xA0000000, to point them to the SuperVidel DDR RAM address space. So I guess you need to find in the binary where a screen buffer is Mxalloced, and then OR the result with 0xA0000000. That should be all.

Is there anything special you would like to see on video? :)

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:44 pm

instream wrote:
Dal wrote:VERY impressive stuff! Thanks for posting this up - looking forward to getting my hands on one of these :mrgreen:

You have registered then, haven't you? :)

I have indeed... :)
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:47 pm

wongck wrote:Great video showing what it can do :thumbs:

But on the hardware video, the cards are moved back a few cm by an extension board ??
(not the one the raise it)
Do we need this or it is just for your development?

There are some photos and a discussion of this on the SuperVidel page at nature.atari.org, under FAQ at the end of the page.
Basically you could do without the extender boards, but then you can only fit ONE board on the CT60 (like a SuperVidel), if you intend to use the internal keyboard. There will be some risk of the pins of the superVidel touching a screw at the back of the internal keyboard, so you must remove that screw.

If you instead go through the hassle of soldering off the old CT60 connectors (the 30 and 50pin connecting to the motherboard) and solder the extenderboards in place, you will get a much neater looking falcon. And you can have TWO boards on the CT60. If you add 3 boards, I think you will hit the ceiling of the falcon case either way. :)

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Great stuff! :cheers:

Suggestions for some real-world eye-candy stuff to try out with it;

1. How fast can it render a thumbnail gallery in zView and display pictures from there?
2. Aniplayer or MPlayer movie replay on the desktop. Beetle showed off the CTPCI doing this at the last Outline party.

That'll do for now, someone else have a go. :mrgreen:
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:27 pm

A Duke Nukem / Quake demo would be cool...

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:41 pm

instream wrote:There are some photos and a discussion of this on the SuperVidel page at nature.atari.org, under FAQ at the end of the page.
Basically you could do without the extender boards, but then you can only fit ONE board on the CT60 (like a SuperVidel), if you intend to use the internal keyboard. There will be some risk of the pins of the superVidel touching a screw at the back of the internal keyboard, so you must remove that screw.

If you instead go through the hassle of soldering off the old CT60 connectors (the 30 and 50pin connecting to the motherboard) and solder the extenderboards in place, you will get a much neater looking falcon. And you can have TWO boards on the CT60. If you add 3 boards, I think you will hit the ceiling of the falcon case either way. :)

Thanks for the answer.
With SV, I think there is no more need to have another board on the CT6x. It already have video & network. What else is there?
It will be a tight fit.
Only issue now is I do not have a feel for the price. :roll:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:54 am

Yes - I couldn't really get my head around the question "do you want to pay €250 or €350 for it?"...

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:39 am

Dal wrote:Yes - I couldn't really get my head around the question "do you want to pay €250 or €350 for it?"...

The reason that we gave people two price categories to consider is that there is a circular dependency regarding the price: If many boards are ordered, the price per board will go down. But most people will only order if the price is lower. I guess we should have added a third category, with a price range of 150 to 199 EUR (plus VAT), but then we would have needed at least 120 orders (rough estimate). Hopefully we can reach that number anyway, and then lower the price below the 200 + VAT, if people will just wake up and register before March 15th. :)
If you know a forum or homepage that we haven't posted on already, please post this info for us... :)

If you should think that 250 EUR for the SuperVidel is expensive (we think so too), you really should compare that to the 300 EUR that you paid for the CT60 (plus 100 EUR for the 68060), which has a much lower bill-of-materials cost than the SuperVidel. :)

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:40 am

CiH wrote:Great stuff! :cheers:

Suggestions for some real-world eye-candy stuff to try out with it;

1. How fast can it render a thumbnail gallery in zView and display pictures from there?
2. Aniplayer or MPlayer movie replay on the desktop. Beetle showed off the CTPCI doing this at the last Outline party.

That'll do for now, someone else have a go. :mrgreen:

We´ll discuss with Pep and see what we can do :)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:31 pm

Very impressive :-) Do you think it's possible to implement the SuperVidel on the Firebee as well?

Jo Even
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:09 am

joska wrote:Very impressive :-) Do you think it's possible to implement the SuperVidel on the Firebee as well?

Jo Even

Little less than two years ago we were contacted by the ACP team regarding this matter, where they asked if we had any Videl VHDL code to share with them. At that time we had no Videl compatibility code at all yet. So eventually they went ahead with their own design.

Don't know if this answers your question :)

Torbjörn

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:57 pm

Indeed, I'd like to see some videos being played with aniplayer as well as some images being displayed.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:17 pm

Maybe we can record something on sunday, not home until then :)

Torbjörn

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Just wanted to say, in case anybody is waiting, that I have found some AVI movies at Beetles FTP account at ftp.untergrund.net. One is the same as he uses in a CTPCI demo video. I don't have time to film it tonight though. Hopefully tomorrow.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:22 pm

instream wrote:Little less than two years ago we were contacted by the ACP team regarding this matter, where they asked if we had any Videl VHDL code to share with them. At that time we had no Videl compatibility code at all yet. So eventually they went ahead with their own design.

Sort of. So I guess it's possible :) The Firebee Videl is so far just a clone of the original, but capable of much faster clocks. It would be a great advantage if extensions - like your "super-blitter" would be compatible.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

mdivancic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mdivancic » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:32 pm

So very cool. Thanks for sharing!
Mikey
Atari Falcon 030, CT-63 w/128MB @ 76MHz, 14 MB RamGizmo, SuperVidel + SvethLANa
Atari TT030, CaTTamaran, 4 MB ST-Ram, 16 MB TT-RAM, ECL2VGA
Amiga 4000T (QuickPak), OS 3.9, QuickPak 060 w/128 MB, Picasso IV, A2065, AD516
Commodore 128D, 1084S monitor, RAMLink, CMD 4.1GB Hardrive
Commodore SX-64

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:25 pm

We have just posted a 4th demo video on youtube, showing some Aniplayer playback:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96epSDwfPnk

We don't have a patched Quake port yet, so we don't think it's worth to show on the SV, but if/when we do it we can show that too. Also left to do is a dual screen demo. Hopefully done during the upcoming weekend.

/Torbjörn and Henrik

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:30 pm

joska wrote:
instream wrote:Little less than two years ago we were contacted by the ACP team regarding this matter, where they asked if we had any Videl VHDL code to share with them. At that time we had no Videl compatibility code at all yet. So eventually they went ahead with their own design.

Sort of. So I guess it's possible :) The Firebee Videl is so far just a clone of the original, but capable of much faster clocks. It would be a great advantage if extensions - like your "super-blitter" would be compatible.

It sounds like a long-shot that our SuperBlitter would fit the VHDL code of the Firebee, mainly since it is created for a different FPGA chip. But doesn't it already have a blitter? :)

/Torbjörn

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:01 pm

instream wrote:It sounds like a long-shot that our SuperBlitter would fit the VHDL code of the Firebee, mainly since it is created for a different FPGA chip. But doesn't it already have a blitter? :)

I wasn't thinking about the actual code, but keeping any Supervidel/Firebee-extensions to the Videl compatible.
Jo Even

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:40 pm

€ 350... I am still thinking very hard to get one.

Social Media

Return to “SuperVidel”