All about ST/STE demos

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

EddyDeegan
Retro freak
Retro freak

Some simple routines with source

Postby EddyDeegan » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:14 pm

Hey all,

So after absolutely ages, I finally got down from the attic a bog box of my old floppies. I'm struggling a bit with a USB floppy drive on Windows at the moment, but I've actually ordered a replacement floppy for my real 1040ST (also in the attic!) which, I am hoping, will enable me to read the extended format floppies I have and convert them to disk images.

Attached is a little collection of very simple routines which do some demo-y things. Most, if not all, come with full source.

distortion.ST - a mouse-driven interactive dist routine
routines1.ST - a bunch of little routines for scrolling, bitplan FX and bouncing etc.
sonixx.ST - a quartet sound demo I wrote (a friend of mine did the logo)
silentmain.ST - the main menu for a demo I started but never finished, inspired by an article in ST News that told you how to remove the bottom border.

I was never a hardcore demo writer - don't expect anything very flashy, but it's all my own work from back in the day. I was a lone youngster working in isolation in his bedroom in between doing other things, but hopefully the fact that this is a previously unseen selection of routines, and the fact that they've been archived in a box in a roof for the last 20 years will be of some interest to someone :-)

I have also retrieved the disks for my Linux-like project from 1990-1992, which has a fairly full featured UNIX-like environment for the ST on it which I wrote while doing my degree, but at present the image is a little too unstable to post here. As soon as I get my new drive I'll get it done properly and added to the public domain.

These image files are in .ST format as that's the only format I could get using my USB floppy drive and the 'ST Recover' program on Windows 8. They work great in STeem SSE. I recommend setting the Atari model to the original 520ST, using TOS 1.02.

Cheers,

Eddy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Some simple routines with source

Postby bullis1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Wow thanks for posting with these goodies.

I know someone on this forum will be very interested (paging Lotek!).

I'm curious to see your OS project.
Member of the Atari Legend team

tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby tenox » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:51 pm

I'm very interested to see the OS as we'll!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EddyDeegan
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby EddyDeegan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:56 pm

lotek_style
Mod(ul)erator
Mod(ul)erator

Postby lotek_style » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:40 pm

VOBRIAN ... never heard of you before but I will put those stuff to my new demoarchive aswell :)
lotek style / the sirius cybernetics corporation
- musician - ascii-artist - swapper - archivist -

.tSCc. - low-tech atari cyberpunks since 1990
http://www.tscc.de/ | http://demozoo.org/ | http://www.lotekstyle.de/ | http://ymrockerz.atari.org/

EddyDeegan
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby EddyDeegan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:53 pm

Cheers, Lotek... and there is no reason you would have seen any of my work before now really. As I said, I was just an inspired young coder watching the cool demos from the well known crews and trying to emulate it to some extent. I never really put anything out there for people to see, just swapped with a few friends etc. Rediscovering all this stuff really takes me back, in a good way.

I've got a lot more stuff, some better, some not so good. I can't believe how many hours I poured into it back then (well, I can actually.. I loved it). I found a cool program called ST Recover (https://strecover.codeplex.com/) which seems to work well. It's what I used to recover the material I've posted, but I have a dozen disks or more in extended format which I can't read using a USB floppy disk on Windows.

I do note, however, that with a PC using an internal floppy (and running something like XP) I should be able to recover a load more stuff. I've got an old PC which is ideal for the purpose, and which I haven't used for years, so I'll put Windows XP on it, and use it as a dedicated recovery machine and see how many of my 300+ disks I can image.

I'm really hoping I can recover some disks I have based on a framework I wrote called 'the Black Velvet Sample Player'. This was a program which used self modifying code to generate a spectral analysis (of sorts) of samples and also sequenced them in various ways. I've got half a dozen disks based on that player, but they are all extended format and as such I can't read them yet. Also have a number of STOS based demos, a drum machine I wrote (inspired by a Roland TR-909 I owned back then) and a bunch of other miscellany.

Anyway, I ramble. I'll get that other machine built and see what more I can recover :-)

Eddy

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:41 pm

nice one :)

I'm still trying to learn to code properly, so more source to look at is always welcome :)

Social Media

Return to “Demos - General”