Screen scrolling

All about ST/STE demos

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Screen scrolling

Postby paul92706 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi guys i have a problem, i kinda semi know the problem. But anyhow when i execute Demos for my STe my TV does this crazy (up to down) screen scroll. I am
able to see the Demo and music but the screen scroll happens to fast and its annoying. I asume i have the wrong frequency from my TV correct? what frequency am i suppose to be at? can i fix this with some software? or do i need to change out my TV? i really knoth nothing about frequency rates so please be easy! thanks guys!
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Screen scrolling

Postby bullis1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:45 pm

Most demos are from European crews and will specifically switch the output to 50hz at some point. If you live in the 60hz regions (North America for example) your TV will not be able to display the signal correctly.

Solutions:
-use a video-to-VGA converter box or TV capture card that supports 50 and 60hz and watch the demos on a PC monitor (this is not a good solution as the image quality will be pretty bad)
-connect your ST to an Atari monitor (this provides the best quality, and Atari monitors will display 50 and 60hz regardless of your region)

There are other old RGB CRT computer monitors that would also work. Converter boxes that change 50hz to 60hz exist but are generally scarce and expensive, as opposed to boxes that do the opposite.

EDIT: There is ST software to switch the refresh rate but the demos will just switch it back to 50hz anyway.
Member of the Atari Legend team

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:25 am

bullis1 wrote:Most demos are from European crews and will specifically switch the output to 50hz at some point. If you live in the 60hz regions (North America for example) your TV will not be able to display the signal correctly.

Solutions:
-use a video-to-VGA converter box or TV capture card that supports 50 and 60hz and watch the demos on a PC monitor (this is not a good solution as the image quality will be pretty bad)
-connect your ST to an Atari monitor (this provides the best quality, and Atari monitors will display 50 and 60hz regardless of your region)

There are other old RGB CRT computer monitors that would also work. Converter boxes that change 50hz to 60hz exist but are generally scarce and expensive, as opposed to boxes that do the opposite.

EDIT: There is ST software to switch the refresh rate but the demos will just switch it back to 50hz anyway.

Thanks bullis1 i figured that was the issue, Atari monitors are pretty expensive online, i will see if i can find a cheap 50/60hz monitor around... it really sucks having to watch cool demos on a scrolling screen! :evil:
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:22 am

Don't bother checking online I say, the shipping would be a killer.

Check online classifieds though. Find out what programs are in place for people to recycle/dispose of electronics & check those out. You live in California? Surely there should be lots of Atari stuff kicking around. You will probably find one for free if you're patient.
Member of the Atari Legend team

Social Media

Return to “Demos - General”