Display Trick Idea - would like some thoughts...

All about ST/STE demos

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

ljbk
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Display Trick Idea - would like some thoughts...

Postby ljbk » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:15 pm

Nyh wrote:
ljbk wrote:Just for the sake of "records", it seems that a plain Atari STF can be able to display (at least :) ) 58 different colors on a single scan line with 56 changing.

Correct:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=21148#p187790

Hans Wessels

Very interesting thread, i did not know about, and there are a lot of things there i agree with:
- color as uniform as possible changes are important;
- converter features are extremly important;

ljbk
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Display Trick Idea - would like some thoughts...

Postby ljbk » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Nyh wrote:
evil wrote:All in all, it is still pretty much what was already done by Spectrum 512 in 1987, only that without blitter it "only" does 48 colours per line :) I still have to hand it to that russian guy who did Spec 512. Not only the displaymode, but he actually managed to make a useable painting program for it, I think nobody have ever since (ok, Dougs unreleased Chroma might have pulled it off).

Boris Tsikanovsky did not only solve the multiple colors per line problem. But he even solved the ACIA jitter problem. While in full color mode in Spectrum 512 you can use the mouse. The routines he is using to accomplish this in Spectrum 512 are still quite astonishing.

Hans Wessels

I totally agree and i would add, again, the very fast, almost on the fly, conversion from true color (last drawed stuff) to the 42 internal colors.

Social Media

Return to “Demos - General”