All about ST/STE demos

Moderators: lotek_style, Mug UK, Moderator Team

enito
Atari freak
Atari freak

Bat Dance DEMO

Postby enito » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:27 am

Hi,

today i received my STE, i upgrade to 4mb kewl! now i remember i haved a floppy with the nice Demo Bat Dance , is a clip with some images of prince sampled song. But this one doesnt work, not sure if this demos is only STFM or the upgrade to 4MB can affected?

Thx for your time for read, greets

atari_mark
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Bat Dance DEMO

Postby atari_mark » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:08 am

Depends what the demo was written in. Careless assembly coders often miscalculate the screen space and write beyond the screen. On a machine with less than 4MB that is fine as the memory addresses are valid but on a 4MB machine the addresses are not valid. Try using something like memset and make TOS think your ST has 2MB of RAM then run the demo again.
Mac Sys Data/Persistence Of Vision

Instructions said to install Windows 2000 or better so I installed Fedora.

enito
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby enito » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi !

thx for reply, sorry for my ignorance, where i can get this tool? i thinked this demo is only STF , but if working with STE that sound amazing!!

Regards

enito
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby enito » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:38 am

Hi

PERFECT, you have reason, i used http://www.skumtomte.com/files/Area%201/ULTIMEM.ZIP , really nice for boot in many ways mem config. I booted with 2MB and PERFECT!!!!!
thx a lot!

regards

bob chewter
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bob chewter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:06 am

atari_mark wrote:Depends what the demo was written in. Careless assembly coders often miscalculate the screen space and write beyond the screen. On a machine with less than 4MB that is fine as the memory addresses are valid but on a 4MB machine the addresses are not valid. Try using something like memset and make TOS think your ST has 2MB of RAM then run the demo again.

Was this the demo that was basically nicked from the micro mix demo..i seem to remember seeing one where the screen had been changed using degas...

Social Media

Return to “Demos - General”