Looking for picture based on dire straits money for nothing

All about ST/STE demos

Moderators: lotek_style, Mug UK, Moderator Team

Atarist8te74
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Looking for picture based on dire straits money for nothing

Postby Atarist8te74 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:43 am

Its been along time since I really started to get back into the st but im trying to find a picture that somebody did based on the video for dire straits money for nothing. I really cant remember if it was a demo or just a picture somebody had drawn but I vaguley remember it was pretty well done.

Does anyone know what im on about and able to help me out?

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Looking for picture based on dire straits money for nothing

Postby CiH » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:40 pm

I recall it was one of the early stock images used to show off Neochrome in the very early days of the ST. In the same category as the famous animated waterfall, but seemingly hard to find in the google world at the moment :)
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:57 pm

Wasn't it a demo of Antic's CAD software? Can't remember which one though or maybe Antic converted it from the original Dire Straits video to show off the power of their software?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:02 pm

It was definately a neochrome slideshow image.

I think it was on an early ST format cover or possibly a neochrome disk I got bundled with my STFM from silica shop.
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

Atarist8te74

Postby Atarist8te74 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:10 am

Thanx for trying to help guys, I will have a crack at tracking down this neochrome slideshow disk via the st format stuff.

@MiggyMog - do you still have the disk you got bundled from silica?

telengard
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby telengard » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:43 am

I have a picture of this in a collage I made a *long* time ago. I recall it being in STart magazine. I went though a bunch of issues in the hopes of finding it to scan for you but no luck after checking about 4 or 5 mags. :(

~telengard

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Nyh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:46 pm

Atarist8te74 wrote:Its been along time since I really started to get back into the st but im trying to find a picture that somebody did based on the video for dire straits money for nothing. I really cant remember if it was a demo or just a picture somebody had drawn but I vaguley remember it was pretty well done.

Does anyone know what im on about and able to help me out?

I think you mean this one?
MUSICTV.png

(I have the same picture with a Orange and a black background, I don't know which of these three is the original.)
I have got it as a TNY file.

Looking for it found a memory leak in the Tiny conversion routine in the program that converts ST pictures into Windows BMP files. It showed op during converting 1342 files.

Hans Wessels
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sparky16
Atarian
Atarian

Postby sparky16 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:08 pm

Hi guys,
Wow that brings back Memories, I remember the great pic.

I think if i remember at the time, somebody wrote a demo, which played sampled music in the background but is was for 1 meg
i actually wrote the 512k version of the demo, i can remember (Just) i re-sampled the music from a cassette tape, cant remember the device name i used
but my version had two pics, i flipped between them both, i wish i had saved it somewhere!! anybody who has a version i would love to have it.

I also did a similar thing with the Oxygene music demo, that was also a 1 meg demo, that i resampled to 512k.

I wrote a few more demos for the st, one is on the Pov demo disk 67 Edelweiwss, which is funny because
they are saying the music is Corrupt. But back then i was playing about with Mixing.

My name back then was Merlin, i was from a group Called "The Round Table", Really funny now looking back
Merlin Ehh, Supposed to be a Computer Wizard back then

Probaly going to upset people but eventually jumped ship and went to the Amiga, Worked for a group Called MAgnetic Fields (Merlin), and then went on to Join a Group Called Digital (Panic) god they were the good old days...
Anyway as i say anybody who has demos for either Money for nothing/Oxygen, or The round Table Demos, Cant remember the others we released, pleaase Post

(Merlin,PAnic) or just Mark alderson

sparky16
Atarian
Atarian

Postby sparky16 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Please check out a demo disk called Pov 87, this has the 512k version of the demo i worte many years ago.

(BLockbuster/Merlin/Panic) or just Mark alderson

Atarist8te74

Re: Looking for picture based on dire straits money for noth

Postby Atarist8te74 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:47 pm

Forgot about this thread. Massive thanx guys, brings back good memories of my old atari days :)

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:09 pm

old thread, but just going through some new (to me) disks and there is a dire striaghts disk on the demo disk for neochrome, which should be attached to this post :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MarzAttax
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MarzAttax » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:16 pm

Wow, I can't believe this, I was the other half of "The Round Table" (King Arthur) - I may still have the discs for those demos - i've been looking for The Wizard Demo for ages now (it had Paul Hardcastle sample I think).

Yeah, we jumped ship and coded The Chameleon demo on the Amiga (I was Columbo), which would not have been possible without Marvin (Gavin), who gave us the coords for those complex geometrical shapes near the end of the demo.

So how the devil are ya Mark me old mucker? :o)

(Columbo/King Arthur) or just Brian Hood) :o)

sparky16 wrote:Hi guys,
Wow that brings back Memories, I remember the great pic.

I think if i remember at the time, somebody wrote a demo, which played sampled music in the background but is was for 1 meg
i actually wrote the 512k version of the demo, i can remember (Just) i re-sampled the music from a cassette tape, cant remember the device name i used
but my version had two pics, i flipped between them both, i wish i had saved it somewhere!! anybody who has a version i would love to have it.

I also did a similar thing with the Oxygene music demo, that was also a 1 meg demo, that i resampled to 512k.

I wrote a few more demos for the st, one is on the Pov demo disk 67 Edelweiwss, which is funny because
they are saying the music is Corrupt. But back then i was playing about with Mixing.

My name back then was Merlin, i was from a group Called "The Round Table", Really funny now looking back
Merlin Ehh, Supposed to be a Computer Wizard back then

Probaly going to upset people but eventually jumped ship and went to the Amiga, Worked for a group Called MAgnetic Fields (Merlin), and then went on to Join a Group Called Digital (Panic) god they were the good old days...
Anyway as i say anybody who has demos for either Money for nothing/Oxygen, or The round Table Demos, Cant remember the others we released, pleaase Post

(Merlin,PAnic) or just Mark alderson

sparky16
Atarian
Atarian

Postby sparky16 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:43 pm

Wow this is Weird.....not heard from you for years...and i mean years,,,,isnt if funny how a single post can get us back in touch.
I have sent you a personnel om, so hope we can catch up....MArk

Social Media

Return to “Demos - General”